Trout in the Milk

"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk." -Henry David Thoreau

My Photo
Name:
Location: Easton, Maryland, United States

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Cooking and Playing with Fire

I love any recipe that involves liquor and fire.

That being said, I had a business meeting at my house tonight and I was to supply the dessert. I hadn't planned anything as of yet, so this afternoon I was mulling about what to serve. I thought about going to the local pastry shop, and living in Easton I have a number of good places to go. If you ever come down here for a show at the Avalon Theater step across the street at intermission to Sweet Nina's for pastry and espresso. While I was thinking about this, I reflected on the crepe pan I have that has served up many fried eggs but nary a crepe.

I started to pull out the Joy of Cooking (always a great resource) but then I decided that for crepes I should really channel Julia Child. (BTW, if you are in the vicinity of the Nation's Capitol you should go to the Museum of American History and see Julia's Kitchen) I was going to stuff them with the strawberries I got yesterday (which are quite good for March) but then I read on about Crepes Suzette. If I was going to go to the trouble of making crepes, why not set them on fire?

The crepes were the easy part. I did not pause at the appropriate part of the recipe though, and let the minced orange peel sit with the sugar for quite some time. When I added it to the softened butter it did not cream, as the sugar had all melted by then. So when I tried to add the orange juice and liquer to the creamed butter and sugar it just made a gloppy, orangey mess. But, in the end the whole damn thing was to be melted so it worked just fine. I added some freshly grated ginger and I think it was very good.

So, since I had to stomach a business meeting on my night off at least I got to prepare my stomach with orange butter crepes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home